Coweta was formed in 1825 from land ceded from the Creek Indians and settled predominately by people arriving from the Carolinas and Virginia. Coweta has eight municipalities which have their own governments and service operations: Newnan (county seat), Senoia, Grantville, Palmetto, Moreland, Turin, Sharpsburg, and Haralson.
Coweta County is well-represented in the Georgia legislature by two representatives and one senator and in the U.S. Congress by one representative and two senators.
Coweta County operates its business from the Coweta County Administration Building and from the Coweta County Justice Center, home to the offices of the Clerk of the State Court, Clerk of Superior Court, District Attorney, County Solicitor, and the Magistrate Court. The 130,000 square-foot Justice Center, within easy walking distance of the Newnan courthouse square, features eight courtrooms. The 1904 Courthouse that the Justice Center replaced has been recently renovated for use for other public purposes including the County Vistors Center.
The county is governed by a five-member elected Board of Commissioners. Governmental operations are administered by the county administrator’s office.
Coweta County Administration Building
Coweta County Justice Center
Coweta County Fairgrounds
Other Coweta Numbers
Grantville City Hall
Moreland City Hall
Newnan City Hall
City of Palmetto
Senoia City Hall
Sharpsburg City Hall